[Tweeters] FOY Rufous, West Seattle; also stubby-tailed Steller's Jay

Tucker, Trileigh TRI at seattleu.edu
Tue Apr 14 11:59:50 PDT 2015

Hi Tweets,

I’ve been enviously watching the FOY Rufous Hummingbird alerts go by while scanning my kitchen-window shrubs for “my” Rufous, to no avail. Until yesterday 4/13, when a gorgeous little orange visitor finally made its debut at my feeder. I wasn’t fast enough to catch a photo but now have my camera at the ready.

Also sighted recently was an unusual Steller’s Jay. What first caught my eye were “bloomers”, then finally I saw it has almost no tail. It seems to be flying OK, and has been visiting for the past couple of weeks at least, along with a normal-looking companion. I’m thinking its tail was removed by a predator? Or is there some other explanation?

Photos of the jay are at flickr.com/photos/trileigh<https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh>.

Good birding to all,
Trileigh

^ ^ ^ ^ ^