[Tweeters] Hummingbird identification help wanted

Kevin Lucas vikingcove at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 13:23:57 PDT 2015

Thanks for the helpful responses.

The hummingbird appears to be a female Anna's Hummingbird. In my first
photos the outer tail feathers seemed to have black pointing down into the
white tips. Later photos (#7 & #12) taken outside clearly show the outer
two tail feathers' (R4, R5) white tips without black pointing down into
them, and R3, the next tail feather in, with just a little white at the tip.
There's an excellent illustration of this on page 151 of Hummingbirds of
North America, by Steve N. G. Howell.

I added a few of those later photos to my Flickr stream.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/58148027@N07/

Good birding,
Kevin Lucas
Selah, WA