[Tweeters] Long-billed Curlew at March Point (Skagit Co.)

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Tue Apr 7 09:24:26 PDT 2015

Birders,

Yesterday afternoon, April 6th, I decided to do some birding at Butler Flats
and March Point in Skagit County. Birding at Butler Flats was good, but
nothing especially unusual. A total of 10 TURKEY VULTURES (9 in one flock
overhead) and a few WILSON'S SNIPE in various places were of interest.
However, I did find a good bird at March Point. I checked out the Swinomish
spoil islands on the east side, hoping to see the 3 Marbled Godwits that
Gary Bletsch had reported a week ago or so. It was high tide (about 6:30
PM); the islands and surrounding waters were covered with dabbling ducks,
gulls, cormorants, herons, etc. No sign of the godwits, but on one of the
islands, a LONG-BILLED CURLEW was moving about, feeding among some gulls.
No, this was no Whimbrel; the bright cinnamon underparts, large size, and
long, long bill clearly marked it as a Long-billed.

This was only my second record of Long-billed Curlew in Skagit County. I'm
still struggling to reach 250 species all-time in the county (have birded
there regularly since 1968). Maybe I'll get there this year; I only need 2
more species!

Good luck and good birding,

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC