Re: [Tweeters] eBird acquired by Google…uh-oh

William Brynteson billb0986 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 07:27:32 PDT 2015

I personally find this news very disturbing, and I question why this was
even something that should have happened. eCommerce is becoming so
pervasive that it has moved me to remove myself from more and more internet
sites.

I enjoy eBird and spend a lot of time studying all that it has to offer,
now I will be sensitive to even using it going forward. This is citizen
science, not a data generator to be utilized to make money and that is the
only reason that a "Google" would want to buy it! Will it follow that we
will have to purchase a subscription to eBird, endure flashing ads trying
to sell us everything that a "birder" would possible be convinced they
need. Google will now have our names, and email addresses so here comes
the email bombs!

A very sad day IMO

BillB