[Tweeters] Northern Pygmy-Owl, 177 Pine Siskin along Beausite Road (West Valley Jefferson Co.)

John Gatchet jfgatchet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 14:32:56 PDT 2014

This morning I was birding along Beausite Rd. just off West Valley Road and
south of Chimacum. I was standing at the edge of the road and 15 feet away
from me I heard this thrashing about in the Salal. I looked and a bird
came blasting out and straight into the air and then flew downslope and
landed in a Western Red Cedar. It was a NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL. As it sat I
was able to observe a DARK-EYED JUNCO in it's talons. I heard GREATER
WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE from this location.

I was able to count with some accuracy 177 PINE SISKIN as they moved
crossing the road from alders to a group cedars. My estimate was lower and
so I felt fortunate to be able to count them as the moved in small groups.
This is the largest grouping I have seen in more than a year.

At Anderson Lake State Park I saw 6 GOLDEN-CROWNED, 13 WHITE-CROWNED,
2 LINCOLN'S, 1 SAVANNA and many SONG SPARROWS. An OSPREY was present and 3
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS were vocal and easily seen. I had great looks at
SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, PILEATED WOODPECKER and VARIED THRUSH in flight.

John F. Gatchet
Gardiner, WA