[Tweeters] Shorebird Question

rbrit at u.washington.edu rbrit at u.washington.edu
Mon Sep 29 16:25:18 PDT 2014

Escaped to east side of Decatur Island this weekend. Sunday morning, eightish, our attention was drawn to the slapping of bird feet on Rosario Straight at the foot of the bluff for five, maybe ten, minutes. We where only able to catch a glimpse (naked-eye)thorough the filter of the fog of a flock of what had to be conservatively a thousand or more black, maybe chicken sized, birds taking flight in groups of 25-50 and heading north. Not only the duration of the sound, but the size of the flock was astounding!
Any ideas as to how to narrow down what they might have been?

Rob Britschgi
Ballard