[Tweeters] Merlins visiting their nesting territories

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Sat Sep 27 19:02:47 PDT 2014

Caryn's mention of Merlins overhead, calling out a variety of calls, is the second reported Merlin surprise I've recently been told about. Anne G. up in the Echo Lake neighborhood of Shoreline, has had a couple of them regularly visiting or flying over her block, which is in the center of that Merlin nesting territory - she's reported them for a couple of weeks now. I have yet to be there when the Merlins are so far, but I'm hoping to connect with them one of these days.

If you hear or see any Merlins in the Seattle area this fall, especially if you notice them in or near one of the following 2014 nest areas, there are several of us who would appreciate a hearing about it - a post on Tweeters and/or a message to me or anyone else you know who has been following Merlins in the Seattle area, would be appreciated. A few Merlins have been banded this year, so if you note bands on any, do notify Ben Vang-Johnson or Kim McCormick (see the WOS website for more info).

The following areas (neighborhoods) hosted a Merlin nesting situation of which I am aware and/or visited: 1. Echo Lake (Shoreline); 2. Olympic Hills; 3. Wedgwood; 4. Pinehurst; 5. Mountlake Terrace; 6. Lynnwood; 7. Mercer Is.; 8. another site in Shoreline, or so I heard, perhaps near Richmond Beach.

Kee kee kee (and other variations on the theme),

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net