[Tweeters] W. Scrub Jay sighting @ Magnuson Pk. on 9/13/14

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Sat Sep 27 14:18:51 PDT 2014

Since Scrub Jays seem to be of the moment now, I'll throw in my sighting from Sat. Sept. 13 at around noon. The jay vocalized its way to some trees in the middle of one of the older wetland ponds at Magnuson Park - it hung around long enough for me to get a photo, though it's somewhat lacking in quality (if you wish to see the pic, I will send it to you in an email). I had first noticed the jaylike calls and knew they were not from our usual 'blue jay', the Stellar's Jay. It was pretty exciting to see the Scrub Jay around here. There seem to have been more Western Scrub Jay sightings in the past few years than in previous late summers/early falls... Are they migrating through to the south? The only place I've seen them regularly is in and around Portland, OR. Have they ever nested at the Fill ? Or in Discovery Park? Or anywhere else in the Puget Sound area that anyone knows of?

Barb Deihl
Matthews Beach - NE Seattle
barbdeihl at comcast.net