[Tweeters] Skamania County Birds

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Fri Sep 26 21:40:49 PDT 2014

Today, Les Carlson and I headed up the FR8040 Road on Mt. Adams, north of Trout Lake, Klickitat County, and birded our way back across Skamania County to my place near the Clark County line. In the first dead trees on the edge of the Cascade Creek Burn, we found a CASSIN'S FINCH and 71 PINE SISKINS that scattered when a MERLIN flew in and perched in front of us. From the start of the burn it is only about 1.5 miles to the Yakima County border and our target bird for the day was a BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER, which we found fairly quickly along with a female SOOTY GROUSE. We then headed down off of Mt. Adams where we were in a steady drizzle all morning to the warm and dry Columbia River Gorge. Waterfowl are starting to return to the Gorge and soon will be the major attraction for birders after the higher elevations get snow. At Home Valley Park we found a single GREATER-WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE and a NORTHERN SHOVELER. At Doetsch Pond on Beacon Rock State Park accessed from Skamania Landing, there was a GREAT EGRET. We had stopped at the Franz Lake NWR overlook on our way east but there wasn't much there but on the way home we stopped again and found that about 50 AMERICAN WIGEON and 20 GREEN-WINGED TEALS had arrived. Wilson Cady
Columbia River Gorge, WA