[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 17:14:00 PDT 2014

Western Grebes (code 2) are finally swimming their way south into Edmonds waters. I had 50+ from the Water Street public access and 3 from Sunset Avenue on Saturday afternoon. Surf Scoters are now around in small numbers. There have been two sightings of Common Terns (code 3) and several sightings of a Parasitic Jaeger (code 3). Last Thursday there were 40+ Bonaparte's Gulls (code 2) in the offshore waters. Heermann's Gull numbers seem to be holding at 150-200 right now. Two Ancient Murrelets (code 2) were spotted from the public pier on Friday morning. There were 75 Red-necked Phalaropes (code 3) seen from Water Street on September 11th. An Eared Grebe (code 4) was seen in the Underwater Park on September 10th.

There have been consistent sightings of Common Yellowthroats, Savannah Sparrows, and Lincoln's Sparrows in the marsh vicinity over the last couple of weeks. On September 10th there was a Mourning Dove (code 4) around the marsh. Two Western Scrub-Jays (code 4) were seen there a week or so ago. This morning we had our first Golden-crowned Sparrow of fall. Along with one Western Sandpiper this morning, there were two Greater Yellowlegs (code 3) in the marsh.

We are at 171 species for the year.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, Wa