[Tweeters] RE: DEAD BIRDS in Tweeters Digest, Vol 121, Issue 18

Steve Krival stevekrival at live.com
Thu Sep 18 22:28:42 PDT 2014

About 15 years ago, the NOAA office in Port Angeles had a dead bird survey
program in which they relied heavily upon volunteers to routinely patrol
beaches throughout he Sound and coast of Washington. I believe their central
interest was in determining background levels of dead birds or all species
found on beaches in order to have a benchmark for comparison to man-made
disasters, and as a way of assessing natural changes in species population
levels. I don't know whether the program still exists, but they were quite
skilled in dead bird species identification. They had quiet specific
methods developed for handling and preserving specimens. I suspect that any
NOAA personnel or trained volunteer would be helpful in answering questions
about how to treat a dead bird.