[Tweeters] Owls on the offensive

Jack Stephens jstephens62 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 18 21:32:14 PDT 2014

I have had two non-birders ask me why owls are diving at, and
occasionally hitting, people walking through woodland areas. These are
two different locations, on Whidbey Island and in Mukilteo. I am not
sure what species, by report they are large so that would imply either
Barred or Great Horned. What puzzles me is that it is happening at this
time of year. Nest defense seems the obvious reason, but why would this
be occurring now, long after the young have presumably fledged? Could it
be they were inspired by late-night Hitchcock reruns? Could this be ARAB
(Autumnal Recrudescence of Amatory Behavior)? Any information is welcome.

Jack Stephens
Edmonds, WA
jstephens62 at comcast.net