[Tweeters] Great-horned and Barred Owls calling at Lake Joy

Crockett/Gibbins binary_star85 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 10:04:22 PDT 2014

Hi Tweets,
At 3:45 this morning, I heard the loud hooting of a Great-horned Owl. I opened the window to listen. The sound seemed to be coming from the Northwest, across the lake. After a few minutes, I heard a Barred Owl calling from the North. That bird sounded more distant.

I've lived here seventeen months and haven't heard an owl, so I was excited! Then the skeptic in me began to wonder if someone might be getting an early start (Big Day, perhaps) and using playback, such that one of the owls was an imposter. Was anyone out here this morning? If so, which owl was real? Or maybe I just got lucky!

Thanks,
Paula Crockett
Carnation, WA