[Tweeters] Potholes Semi-Pelagic results

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Mon Sep 15 19:21:29 PDT 2014

Hello all,
Sunday was beautiful with temps from 42 - 80, clear and not too windy. Many birds on the reservoir - hundreds of American White Pelicans, Double-crested Cormorants, Western Grebes, Ruddy Ducks, Ring-billed and California Gulls, lesser numbers of Clarks, Red-necked, Eared, Horned and Pied-billed Grebes.
Common and Forster's Terns were scattered around the lake with over 30 near the state park boat launch feeding with 29 Bonaparte's Gulls - these would fly up the waterway coming in and float down picking all the way.
Two SABINE'S GULLS allowed close approach and great photos. A PARASITIC JAEGER chased a gull right over the boat and across the dam. Coot was lunch for a PEREGRINE FALCON close enough for photos. 21 SANDERLINGS were not the high count for this annual trip. Other shorebirds were scarce.

MerryLynn birded Potholes State Park at the same time - and found a few unusual birds:
RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER - did not notice any sign of hybrid.
SWAINSON'S THRUSH - responded with call to spishing - when I used playback it showed up along with a GRAY CATBIRD.
While checking out RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, PINE SISKINS, and warblers near the boat launch a WESTERN KINGBIRD flew over - getting late.
Townsend's Solitaire's called and chased each other around in the campground and just as I was leaving a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW jumped up to spishing.
Good numbers of Wcrown Sparrows, Yrumps and Ocrown Warblers - and a few Warbling Vireos as well.

White-throated Sparrows are everywhere - had one on the island at Lyon's Ferry on Sat. and another at Washtucna. This morning at Rook's Park in Walla Walla I found 3!

Good Birding, M&ML