[Tweeters] Skagit birds today

Scott scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 13 16:49:15 PDT 2014

Tweeters:

To augment Steve's report, the juv. LEWIS' WOODPECKER was very cooperative today flycatching between the telephone poles off the north side of the parking area for the Skagit WMA Headquarters off Wylie Rd. This is Dallas Wylie's property. It was there at about 8 a.m. and still available and seen by several past 10 a.m. I was fortunate to also enjoy Steve's RED KNOT as he located it, viewing it through his scope.

Far down the trail heading south from the main dike trail, I flushed a first-of-season WHITE-THROATED SPARROW in the company of many GOLDEN-CROWNS. Then, within 50 yards of the end of the trail (where the last stand of Red Alder and other deciduous growth gives way to open salt marsh), I distinctly heard, quite a number of times, a GRAY CATBIRD. Alas, I was unable to bring the bird into view as it called from Red-Osier Dogwood/Twinberry thickets here. There are at least three Sept-early Oct. records from the the Skagit WMA, but this is my first county bird in quite a long time.

Scott Atkinson
Lake Stevens
mail to: scottratkinson at hotmail.com