[Tweeters] Mt. Rainier on Wednesday and Saturday

Dave Hayden dtvhm at nwrain.com
Sun Sep 7 10:28:04 PDT 2014

On Wednesday 9/3, Sherry and I hiked in the Lewis County portion of the park, hiking the Pinnacle Peak trail and Carter Falls trail. The weather was cloudy and we were hoping to break out above the clouds on the Pinnacle Peak trail, but the clouds were higher than expected. The Pika’s didn’t disappoint, since this is the best place to see them in the park, as far as I know. The birding was slow on the trail, we did see;
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Steller's Jay 1
Common Raven 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
Pacific Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 4
Varied Thrush 7
Dark-eyed Junco 5

At Reflection Lake we saw;
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Vaux's Swift 1
Belted Kingfisher 1

The Carter Falls trail was even slower birding. The highlights were Carter Falls and Mad Cap Falls. The only birds seen were;
American Dipper 1
Vaux’s Swift 1
Dark-eyed Junco 3

On Saturday 9/6, Sherry and I hiked the Lakes Trail, doing a 5.5 mile loop. This was mostly in Lewis County, but the northern portion of the trail entered into Pierce County. We started on the eastern potion of the Lake Trail heading up to Faraway Rock. Before even reaching Faraway Rock we encountered a flock of 9 PINE GROSBEAKS. With some Pygmy Owl imitations and phishing, we had;
Red-breasted Nuthatch 3
Orange-crowned Warbler 2
Townsend's Warbler 1
Dark-eyed Junco 7
Western Tanager 1
Pine Grosbeak 9

At Faraway Rock we had;
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Common Raven 1

We continued north on Mazama Ridge were we encountered another good flock of birds. We had;
American Robin 18
Gray Jay 7
Steller's Jay 2
Red Crossbill 2
Pine Siskin 2

As we neared the intersection of the Skyline Trail, we encountered our third flock of birds. This area is in Pierce County with open rolling meadows bordered by trees, filled with wild flowers and has a nice view of the mountain. We had;
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Prairie Falcon 1
Gray Jay 3
Common Raven 1
Mountain Chickadee 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
American Robin 5
American Pipit 60
Yellow-rumped Warbler 7
Chipping Sparrow 1
Savannah Sparrow 3
Dark-eyed Junco 5

We reached the Skyline Trail and went back to Paradise, crossed the parking lot and picked up the western portion of the Lakes Trail. It didn’t take long to get back into Lewis County. The birding was now slow and we only picked up;
Golden-crowned Sparrow 1
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 2

Back down at Reflection Lake we saw our final two birds for the hike.
Mallard 1
Wilson’s Snipe 1

Dave Hayden
dtvhm AT nwrain.com