Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Sep 4 15:47:26 PDT 2014

Tweets – It was a really pretty day this morning, despite some early morning ground fog. Sunny and cool slowly became sunny and warm. And it was really birdy, right from the start, and continuing pretty much all day. We’re almost completely done with breeding season, and are clearly in the midst of migration. There’s a lot of change-over right now in the species present, though for the most part we saw some of everything today.

Highlights:

American Wigeon First of fall, earliest definite fall record
Northern Shoveler Three flew north just at 6:30 a.m. – FOF
Green-winged Teal Female at Rowing Club – FOF
Virginia Rail Was just walking around near Lake Platform
Spotted Sandpiper At least 2; great view of 1 at weir
COMMON NIGHTHAWK Low over East Meadow at dawn
Pac.-slope Flycatcher West edge of Dog Meadow
American Pipit 10, parking field near NE ballfields
Lincoln’s Sparrow One – FOF
RED CROSSBILL Heard flock over S end of Dog Meadow
Evening Grosbeak Several flyby heard-only (Matt saw 1)

We had seven species of ducks, four species of woodpecker, and four+ species of warbler today.

The COMMON NIGHTHAWK was just our eighth record for the park (and personally, only my second sighting). Five of those records are now from the first three weeks in September.

We also had a MYSTERY WARBLER along the slough just SW of the mansion. It had a fairly bright yellowish wash over the face and breast. The bill was dark. The face was plain, with no facial stripes as on a Townsend’s Warbler (even a juvenile female), and there may have been a hint of an eye line splitting a hint of an eye ring. In pattern, the face was therefore something like an Orange-crowned Warbler. The wings were slaty with pale feather edgings and two clear white wing bars. The breast was yellow, and there were dingy, blurry streaks down the front side (not black, nor even gray, just less bright, in a fashion similar to those on an Orange-crowned, or on a female Yellow Warbler). The belly and undertail coverts were white, while the tail was dark. We were trying to determine if it might be a BLACKPOLL or even a PINE WARBLER when it disappeared.

While we did have SPOTTED SANDPIPER, PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER, WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE, WARBLING VIREO, and BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK today, those are quite possibly the last sightings we’ll have of those species in 2014.

We really didn’t have any misses today; the species we didn’t record today that has the greatest number of previous sightings for Week 36 is American Coot (10 times previously). That said, there were several species are notably not on the list. Bald Eagles appear to be off on their annual late-August/early-September vacation. And we’ve probably seen the last of Rufous Hummingbird, Purple Martin, Tree Swallow, Cliff Swallow, and Brown-headed Cowbird for the year. We also appear to have missed Red-eyed Vireo completely for 2014 (and we had only 2 sightings last year).

For the day, 66 species. Wow.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com