[Tweeters] Red-necked Phalarope Discovery Bay, Shorebirds Kah Tai Lagoon Shorebirds

John Gatchet jfgatchet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 22:14:03 PDT 2014

>From my yard I viewed 42 RED-NECKED PHALAROPE on Discovery Bay this

morning. In my yard this am an ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD was doing it's courtship
flight. At Kah Tai Lagoon there was another ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD doing a
courtship dive. Both birds had a weak "chirp" at the bottom of their
dive. First year males?

At Kah Tai Lagoon in Port Townsend there were seven shorebird species. A
single SEMIPALMATED PLOVER got too close to a KILLDEER and was aggressively
chased several times. There were 12 GREATER and one LESSER YELLOWLEGS and
two SHORT-BILLED SANDPIPER. The 42 WESTERN and 28 LEAST SANDPIPER were
scattered along the lagoon shoreline.

John F. Gatchet
Gardiner, WA