[Tweeters] Bird id - LBlkB (UBO) / Caryn / Whidwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Mon Sep 1 09:45:45 PDT 2014

Hello Tweeters -

So, my friends call me this am from Whidbey (where I soon will be going - thus the Whidwood) to id a bird...

A little black bird (approx 5") with a white belly and ring around its neck. Two hawks were taunting it and did not catch it. I sure can't come up with a bird for them. They did have a book with them but could not id it. But I can't either. Have never birded without seeing the bird - wait, guess that's what birding by ear is but think it would have been screeching in the throes of those two hawks - which were also ufo'd). But, guess that is what many of the Tweeter's do - guess at descriptions. (see below)

Any ideas? Thanks.

Caryn / Wedgwood

Jim Danzenbaker correctly helped me id the bird we had yesterday as a female Western Tanager. Thanks, Jim!!!