[Tweeters] Skagit Bohemian Waxwings

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 17:51:02 PST 2014

Dear Tweeters,
I hope I spelled the name of my own county correctly in the subject message this time!
Today, 30 November 2014, flocks of BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS turned up in two different places in the Upper Skagit.
A flock of 15 turned up in a yard near Concrete. The birds fed on high-bush cranberries. A Sharpie came in, and the waxwings left in a hurry.
On Martin Road, a flock of 9 or more Bohemians was perched in an apple tree as I drove by. This was at the first house on the left (east side of the road), after one leaves the fishing access and heads south. There was a shrub with red fruits near the roadside here--these birds like their red fruits!
It was a stunning day to bird the Upper Skagit. Lakes were largely ice-free. Even Vogler Lake was mostly open. Birds were active and easy to see at every stop. I am so glad I didn't make yet another vain attempt to relocate that Spotted Redshank!
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch