[Tweeters] Re: [obol] Possible sedge wren Game Range Ocean Shores

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 08:09:23 PST 2014

Hi All,

Here's an update on the unconfirmed, single observer SEDGE WREN sighting
from 9:15am, Wednesday morning at the Oyhut Game Range, Ocean Shores, Grays
Harbor County, Washington:

The original sighting consisted of two three second views of a bird that
was flushed from very thick, loosely matted, two foot high mixed grass with
scattered Broom. The two brief views provided enough opportunity to note
the overall pale brown/strawish coloration, short tail, and weak flight.
On its second short flight (approximately 6-8 feet), it uttered a short
"chit-chit" note which clinched it as a wren (I already knew it was a wren
though). I slowly approached the area where it last landed and saw
absolutely nothing and assumed that it had buried itself under matted
grasses. I returned to our car and informed Randy Hill of the sighting and
we both came back to the area, walked around for about 15 minutes and found
nothing. Later on in the afternoon, Brad Waggoner joined us and we spent
about an hour combing the area of taller grass with scattered Broom and
were only able to jump about 6-8 Marsh Wrens in the area. When the Marsh
Wrens flew, it was obvious that the bird that I saw was a completely
different color, was a much weaker flier, and uttered several chit notes
when flushed that none of the Marsh Wrens did when they were flushed.

The location of the sighting was about 150 yards north of the tower that is
visible on the extreme south end of the Game Range area (off the beach a
bit and very close to the Ocean Shores Sewage Treatment Plant). The
immediate area of the sighting was close to a narrow trail through the
grass that leads from the beach to the thicker broom and then onto the main
road. If you choose to pursue, pack your patience as this is a VERY
secretive bird. My fear is that if this bird is still in the area (and I
am 99% convinced that it still is), it may be using subsurface or sub
matted grass rodent burrows to move around in and a lot of human traffic
through the grasses may collapse these burrows (of course, I don't know
this for sure).

Yesterday morning during high tide, birding at the Oyhut Game Range was
quite rewarding as follows:

Short-eared Owl: 1 (flying over the thicker broom between the Sewage
Treatment Plant and the Game Range)
PALM WARBLER: 1 (in the Broom between the STP and Game Range)
GOSHAWK: 1 (immature closer to the road (ten houses north/west of the STP.
Bird landed on top of a bush and allowed for excellent unobstructed
views/photos since it was only 30 yards away!)

The following shorebirds were at the ponds at high tide:

ROCK SANDPIPER: 12 (yes, twelve) the first I've ever seen away from rocks!
Black Turnstone: 75
Surfbird: 62
PECTORAL SANDPIPER: 1 (flew out with several Black Turnstone and uttered
its distinctive churring notes - not seen on the ground)
Dunlin: 5,000
Western Sandpiper: 350
Least Sandpiper: 200
Greater Yellowlegs: 6
dowitcher sp: 1
Wilson's Snipe: 4
Black-bellied Plover: 25
Mountain Plover: ZERO

We looked for small passerines like longspurs, snow buntings, and horned
larks but found none.

Keep your eyes and ears skyward!

Jim Danzenbaker
Battle Ground, WA