[Tweeters] American White Pelican at Lake Sammamish State Park

Mick Thompson mthomp1707 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 18:11:52 PST 2014

Hi All,
There was an American White Pelican at the boat launch at Lake Sammamish State Park today, November 19, 2014.

I arrived at the boat launch area around 9:00 am and a couple of guys working there told me I needed to check out the "Stork" that had been hanging around all morning bothering the other birds. I went down to the water and saw some large white bird sleeping on a snag in the water. It had it's head on it's back and so I couldn't tell, at first, what it was. But it eventually woke up and, much to my surprise, saw that it was an American White Pelican.

It was there until about 11:00 am and put on quite a show for me. It swan around, flew around, and even caught and ate a fish.

Here is a link to an album on my Flick account with some of the better photos...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mickthompson/sets/72157648959813299/

Mick Thompson
Chapter Photographer
Eastside Audubon Society