[Tweeters] West 90, Two Days Later - 11/18/14

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 16:44:48 PST 2014

It was an afternoon of ordinary wonderfulness, with at least 4 Short-eared Owls out performing their ballet, diving on harriers (yup, you read that right !), rising up and into each other, and emitting a few barks (eee-YIPs). Warmer temps, no wind, and gray skies, occasionally opening up in an attempt to let the sun come out to play for a little bit, plus the arrival of some interesting clouds, provided me with all I required for much satisfaction.
I stayed on the short paved path, seeing and hearing everything just fine from there. I set up my scope and panned and followed, panned and followed some more, intermittently stopping to grab my point&shoot to pull in horizon shots. I was joined by a couple of non-hunting viewers, who shared scope, stories and pleasant conversation. The photographer of the group, Terry D. kept trying to wish the Shortears in toward us, to no avail. They stayed out in the far parts of the fields, but, amazingly, didn't seem to be bothered by the duck hunters, who were out there near them. It really was fairly peaceful out at West 90...

Seemed that I saw more Rough-legged Hawks in the trees and on the lines in the Samish Flats yesterday - they must be coming in now. No Snowy Owl yet, though... ! No visible Snow Geese out there, but elsewhere in the flats, I saw some, and the swans were in big abundance. One kestrel was using a wire along Farm-to-Mkt. Rd., near the Josh Wilson Rd intersection. Otherwise, Red-tailed Hawks were frequently seen, from the 145th-St. I-5 entrance up to and throughout my drive to West-90. No shrike was seen...

You'll get a feel for the serenity of the afternoon, from my photos in the Flickr album of the same title as this post. If any of you have thoughts about the identity of the blurry bird on the wire in the 4th photo, send it my way - at first I thought it was the same bird (RLHA) that I had just photographed earlier along that road (Bayview-Edison), but the tailbars put doubt in my mind about that idea - It seems it is a buteo, but I could be wrong...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5ENZRo

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net