[Tweeters] Trumpeter Swans massing at Wiser Lake (Whatcom Co.)

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Tue Nov 11 00:38:32 PST 2014

Birders,

Late yesterday afternoon (from about 4:40 to 5:00 PM, starting just after
sunset), I made a brief visit to the WDFW access at Wiser Lake, south of
Lynden. The east half of the lake was almost covered with ducks, mostly
American Wigeon, with a scattering of other species. Also there were
hundreds of TRUMPETER SWANS. I started counting and got to over 260, when my
view was blocked by shoreline vegetation, and I realized that the swan flock
extended even farther east. Small flocks of Trumpeters continued to arrive.
In total, I estimated that there were at least 500 Trumpeter Swans on the
lake. They appear to be using the lake mainly as a night-time roost at the
moment. I thought I heard a few TUNDRA SWANS as well, but it was hard to be
certain among the din of the trumpeting Trumpeter Swans.

Also of interest was a flock of 16 late LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS at Willey
Lake, a small lake (or large pond?) a few miles west of Lynden. Also there
were about 20 CACKLING GEESE and good numbers of Canada Geese and Mallards.
This small lake is worth a brief visit if you are in the vicinity anytime
except the breeding season.

Good luck and good birding,

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC