[Tweeters] Ellensburg Hummingbird, Possible Ruby-throat

Walter Szeliga walter.szeliga at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 08:35:50 PST 2014

Tweeters,
I finally got a look at the hummingbird this morning (11/10) and believe it’s a Ruby-throat. The hummingbird has been present since Sat. 11/8. It is a green-backed hummingbird with no trace of bronzey-rufous anywhere. It has a grayish-green vest, a white fore-collar and white near the vent with a sort of white loop on the birds lateral hindquarters. It also has a white spot behind the eye. The throat is brilliant red, but only in a patch covering about the center 60% of the throat, the rest is lightly streaked (but not so much as to suggest something like the pattern on Calliope). The bill is not noticeably decurved. It makes no wing-noise when it flies and the vocalizations are nothing like Anna’s Hummingbird, they are more like Rufous Hummingbird. I have yet to observe a forked tail.

I have to work all day today, so I won’t be able to keep an eye on it. I’ve refreshed my feeder and will hope it is here tomorrow. If you are interested in searching for it, it is possible to park at North Alder Park and then walk northwards on the bike trail behind the far eastern end of the park. The Hummingbird has been seen near the houses just north of E. Greenfield Ave.

Cheers,
Walter Szeliga
Ellensburg, WA