[Tweeters] NWR 11/5/14

scrubjay323 at aol.com scrubjay323 at aol.com
Wed Nov 5 15:22:06 PST 2014

Tweets,

Today 30 of us dodged the weather and had a good day at Nisqually. We missed most of the rain until about 11:30 and saw a good number of species. We had a 4.3 low tide at 9:59 so we had lots of mud on the mudflats.

Highlights included a MARBLED GODWIT, 3 PEREGRINE FALCONS, a PILIATED WOODPECKER and a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER. We also had 4 species of geese.

Raptors were abundant with multiple sightings of BALD EAGLE, RED-TAILED HAWKS, NORTHERN HARRIERS, the afore mentioned PEREGRINE FALCONS, and a COOPER'S HAWK. Not a good day to be a prey species.

Across from the parking lot we saw about a dozen GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE in with some CACKLING GEESE. While we were watching them a BALD EAGLE spooked some geese further out that flew our way. There were 3 SNOW GEESE among this flock that landed out on the closed portion of the dike along McAllister Creek. we also had a couple of sightings of CANADA GEESE, giving us 4 species total.

The MARBLED GODWIT was out in the reclamation area along with some LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS. It was larger than the DOWITCHERS, brown not gray and had a two toned pinkish bill. Seemed a bit out of place on the refuge.

As I was returning tot he visitor center we saw a PILIATED WOODPECKER fly into the woods just off the new dike on the Nisqually side. There was another PILIATED calling in the woods as this one attacked a tall snag. While watching him the RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER flew over the trail and landed in a large tree affording great looks. When I got back to the visitor center about 1:00 I saw the flock of BUSHTITS.

For the day I had 49 species and I know I missed some others. The MARBLED GODWIT gives me 142 species for the year. The only mammals seen were 3 BLACK-TAILED DEER.

Until next week.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
Lacey, WA