[Tweeters] What to do with injured birds?

Marc Hoffman tweeters at dartfrogmedia.com
Tue Nov 4 10:55:48 PST 2014

Hi Amit,

Thanks for your concern for the bird.

Lay people are not equipped to diagnose or treat injured birds--the
injuries are often masked by the bird in order to avoid the attention
of predators, and only a veterinarian has the knowledge, equipment,
and medication to help a bird recover, or to euthanize it if recovery
is hopeless.

Please call the PAWS Wildlife Center in Lynnwood at 425.412.4040.
They are the best equipped to help injured birds. If you are far
north of there, Sarvey in Arlington is also a good place, though they
have referred me to PAWS in the past since it's closer to me and
better equipped.

Meanwhile, keep the bird in a small, warm, dark box with air holes.
Keep things quiet. Do not offer food or drink to the bird, and try to
disturb it as little as possible.

Marc Hoffman
www.songbirdphoto.com
Duvall, WA