[Tweeters] Two BROWN PELICANS off Edmonds-- October 31

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Mon Nov 3 13:47:23 PST 2014

Tweeters,

On October 31, on my way to Neah Bay (where else?), I took the 3:55 PM ferry
out of Edmonds. The rain which had been pelting down all afternoon took a
break for the duration of my ferry ride (and immediately started up again
when we got to Kingston). At any rate, about 10 minutes after departing
Edmonds-- and not much more than a mile offshore- I spotted two adult
BROWN PELICANS sitting on the water, a few hundred yards south of the ferry
route! I got good views of them for a couple of minutes until the ferry left
them behind, but they did not take off. They were close enough to shore that
they could have been spotted by someone with a scope looking from the
Edmonds fishing pier.

This is a first-ever sighting of this species for me in the Puget Sound
area, and of course a new bird for my Snohomish County list.

My apologies for not reporting this sooner, but my mobile e-mail was not
working, and a couple of people I tried to phone were out of town-- in Neah
Bay or headed there! With a bit of luck, these pelicans will stay in Puget
Sound for a little while to be seen by other birders.

Good luck and good birding,

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus at telus.net