[Tweeters] From the Fill

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Wed May 28 05:58:45 PDT 2014

Hey tweets, the past two days have been jaw-dropping at the Fill: a Northern Goshawk juvenile on Tuesday (also seen by Kathy and Arn Slettebak and Alex MacKenzie), and a Chipping Sparrow yesterday. For a rarity-lover like me, this has been a year shot with luck - makes me think I should jump on a plane to Reno and make a few sure-fire investments. I probably would, except then I might miss something at the Fill. It is a paradox.

So far this year:
Long-billed Curlew
Short-billed Dowitcher, hendersonii subspecies (not seen by me, sadly)
Red-necked Phalarope in breeding plumage
Wilson's Phalarope (not seen by me - yet!)
American White Pelican (seen by Larry - with photos!!!)
Great Egret
California Quail (really scarce in the county now)
Northern Goshawk
Yellow-breasted Chat
Lazuli Bunting
Chipping Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow

There is another aspect to all these sightings that has been brought home to me: namely, you have to be out in the field to see all this stuff (so you can't spend too much time with your feet up on the heater drinking coffee and feeling your aches and pains slowly seep away), you have to spend a lot of time out there, you have to be prepared to see anything and identify it quickly, and you have to get lucky. Some of these bird encounters happen so fast and are over so quickly that it would be easy to miss them entirely. In fact, we probably do miss many, many potential encounters because we're not there at all, or we're not looking in exactly the right place at the right time.

I've often thought that what I really should do is become a pole saint. Sitting atop a high pole day and night for a couple of years would probably be the best way to see it all. People could bring me food now and then, and I could do isometrics to stay in shape. Wouldn't that be a great Big Year (or two)? - Connie, Seattle

constancesidles at gmail.com
www.constancypress.com