[Tweeters] egg found in lawn

Linda Phillips linda_phillips1252 at msn.com
Tue May 27 12:13:08 PDT 2014

Hi Tweeters-

While mowing my lawn this morning I found an egg shell. You can look at pictures on my Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/88699795@N03/

I frequently find Robin eggs laying on the ground but I can't figure out what this might be.

I mow weekly so this is an egg droped here, not a ground nesting bird who used my yard.

My first thought was Killdeer but it is larger than the Killdeer eggs shown in my Nest,Egg, and Nestlings of North America

The coloring and blotchiness matches several species but I don't see any that are as large as the one I found.

When I picked it up the wide end of the shell was inside of the pointed part.

Anyone know or have a guess who laid my egg?

Linda Phillips

Kenmore