[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 5/21/14

scrubjay323 at aol.com scrubjay323 at aol.com
Wed May 21 20:16:18 PDT 2014

Tweets,

Today 35 of us enjoyed a productive walk at Nisqually. It was overcast and cool for most of the day but we found some nice birds. We had a 9.9 high tide at 11:26 so there was some water in McAllister Creek when we got to the start of the estuary boardwalk.

I guess the highlight of the day was the BULLOCKS ORIOLES in the big leaf maples near the picnic area near the twin barns. There were several there and they afforded great views for all. They hung around for quite some time and allowed those us who had gone ahead to return and still get great views.

The other highlight was the FOY sightings of SWANISON'S THRUSH. After hearing them on the way to the twin barns we had several sightings along the Nisqually side.

We had several CINNAMON TEAL and BLUE-WINGED TEAL throughout the refuge and lots of MALLARDS and GADWALL, as well as WOOD DUCKS and HOODED MERGANSERS with young.

Raptors were scarce with only BALD EAGLES and a lone RED-TAILED HAWK that we could see.

For the day I had 41 species and now have 115 for the year. Mammals seen were BLACK-TAILED DEER, EASTERN GRAY SQUIRREL, and COTTONTAILED RABBIT.

Until next week when Eric and Shep will lead in my absence.

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
Lacey, WA