[Tweeters] Columbiform interactions

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 17:51:28 PDT 2014

Dear Tweeters,

Ever since Eurasian Collared Doves arrived here, I have wondered if they might push out the Mourning Doves.

On April 30, I noticed a Mourning Dove at my feeder in Skagit County. There were three Collared Doves with it. The Mourning Dove was foraging near the Collared Doves the whole time, at least five minutes. It seemed to be shadowing them, but staying a meter or so from them. The larger doves did not pay it much mind, although at one point, one of them did walk toward the Mourning Dove, albeit slowly, and with no obvious intent of bullying it. The smaller dove just walked ahead of the Collared Dove, which turned around and started after the other two after a few seconds, at which point the Mourning Dove also trailed behind them. A few seconds after that, all four flew off for some reason.

Today, May 21, a lone Band-tailed Pigeon flew in from the east. First it landed atop a cottonwood snag, scoped things out, and then flew down to the feeder. A Collared Dove flew in right away. The smaller bird began making little sallies at the pigeon, flying at it and flapping its wings at the larger bird, not exactly a furious assault, but hardly a friendly welcome, either.

I had expected more aggression toward the Mourning Dove--not toward the hulking, huge Band-tails!

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch