[Tweeters] Ibis, Black Tern

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Wed May 21 13:50:35 PDT 2014

Hello all,
Ginger and I birded the Millet pond and 2Rivers this beautiful morning -
and did find our target - 3 WHITE-FACED IBIS at the Millet pond. After
stopping and scoping from the hill without seeing them we drove past and
down to the parking lot where a F&W guy stopped us from pulling into our
usual spot because of a Killdeer displaying. While talking to him the 3
Ibis flew over and into the westernmost part of the millet pond. They
can disappear quickly behind the trees along the edge - so could be
there but visible only by walking down through the cheatgrass.
We walked in to the fast-drying-up ponds and enjoyed the Black-necked
Stilts, American Avocets, Cinnamon and Blue-winged Teal, 9 Great Egrets,
Black-crowned Night-Heron, Western Wood-Pewee, Tree Swallows,
Yellow-headed Blackbirds and heard Sora and Virginia Rail.
A couple Townsend's and Wilson's Warblers were moving through - heard
one Warbling Vireo as well.

Unfortunately F&W has decided to do work in there and they have been
chain-sawing trees down, working on the dike and today had contractors
in there walking around spraying something right out in the wet areas.
That may be why most of the Ibis didn't stick around.

At 2 Rivers we hiked out through the tick-infested grass to "Ruff Spit"
and found a BLACK TERN - the last one seen in Walla Walla County was May
23, 2010. Also found 2 RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS, 10 Bonaparte's Gulls, 11
Forster's Terns and more Avocets, Stilts, Spotted Sandpipers.

At Tyson pond were 2 WILSON'S and 3 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES (#218 for the
county yearlist). And a pair of LARK SPARROWS looking like they might
nest there.

We drove Detour road but the flooded fields are mostly drying up already
- just a few Snipe winnowing.

Good birding, ML

Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the Beautiful Walla Walla Valley

If you haven't gone Birding, you haven't Lived!