[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord - 5-19-2014 Lazuli Bunting+

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Tue May 20 23:24:18 PDT 2014

Tweeters,

On Monday, three Seattle Audubon Bird-a-thon-ers and I had a pleasant, birdy
day at JBLM, focusing on Chambers Lake, and Training Areas (TA) 4, 5, a
small part of 13, and finishing up with some good views of birds at my home
in Roy. For a day that was supposed to be showery, the only raindrops we got
hit with were perhaps two or three - it turned out to be a very pleasant day
with 68 species as our total.

Outside the Range Control office, we had at least two VAUX'S SWIFTS circling
overhead and dozens of CLIFF SWALLOWS visible around a building not far from
there.

At Chambers Lake, WESTERN WOOD-PEWEES came in since the previous week, and
we heard several at various stops around the other training areas. At the
north end of the lake, we saw WOOD DUCK, PIED-BILLED GREBE, AMERICAN ROBIN,
YELLOW WARBLER, NORTHERN FLICKER, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, TREE SWALLOW,
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, WESTERN SCRUB-JAY, and BARN SWALLOW. We also heard
VIRGINIA RAIL. Further toward the middle (west side), SAVANNAH SPARROW,
WILSON'S WARBLER, SONG SPARROW, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, and BROWN CREEPER,
were easily found, and we heard a FOY SWAINSON'S THRUSH. At the south end of
the lake, we saw an additional four Brown Creepers, as well as PURPLE FINCH,
TURKEY VULTURE, WESTERN TANAGER, EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE, CHIPPING SPARROW,
BUSHTIT, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, DOWNY WOODPECKER,
COMMON RAVEN, CANADA GOOSE, SPOTTED TOWHEE, RED-TAILED HAWK, RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCH, and WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW.

Near Brandenburg Marsh, persistence paid off in an outstanding view of a
BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER. A RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD was displaying, and three
CEDAR WAXWINGS passed over. In addition, we saw the first of several
BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS.

At the Muck Creek Bridge, NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW
completed our list of the six likely swallows for the day, and we added
BELTED KINGFISHER, and STELLAR'S JAY. Just before we left the bridge, we
also identified BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK and EUROPEAN STARLING.

Along the Range Road toward Observation Post (OP) 8, we found several
WESTERN BLUEBIRDS. At OP 8, the area around which was in the process of
being denuded of vegetation by range personnel, we found a FOY LAZULI
BUNTING, ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD, MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER, and CALIFORNIA QUAIL.

Along the dirt road that runs along the hillside west of the Second Division
Range Road, found a very cooperative HAIRY WOODPECKER, as well as CASSIN'S
VIREO, HOUSE WREN, and PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER.

Just off Rice-Kandle Road (TA 13), we found a HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER at the
same spot I lucked into one the previous Saturday afternoon.

Back at my home, in addition to very good views of male and female
Black-headed Grosbeaks, we had excellent views of the dozen or so EVENING
GROSBEAKS, and family party of RED CROSSBILLS that visit daily.

All in all, a really good day on the prairies of western Washington.

May all your birds be identified,

Denis DeSilvis

avnacrs4birds at outlook dot com