[Tweeters] Tufted Puffin at Pt-No-Pt

Steve Giles giles.steve at hotmail.com
Sun May 18 19:43:17 PDT 2014

Hello tweeters,

Pt-No-Pt in Kitsap Co today lived up to its reputation for bird diversity with 54 species in three hours this morning.

The highlight was a Tufted Puffin which flew in from the N. at 0915-joined a group of Rhino Auklets and Gulls feeding on a herring ball and then took flight and headed back N. I watched the bird in flight and on the water for about two minutes. Had nice scope views of the bird with it's multicolored bill and long white feather "tufts" and got some OK photos which I will attach to my e-bird report.

Less rare for the county but great fun-there were eight Western Kingbirds-four of them hawking insects on the beach. One singing male Lazuli Bunting and a flyby Bank Swallow.

Mammals-a Coyote and Mule Deer in the marsh and Harbor Seals and Harbor Porpoises off the Point.

Steve Giles

Seattle