[Tweeters] First Rufous in garden / Caryn / Wedgwood -

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Sun May 18 16:56:40 PDT 2014

Hello again, Tweeters -

Hummer ll - The Sequel

Got my scope pointed at the nest in the pine - and saw the Anna's rolling the little "rocks" around (hubby drinks Rolling Rock). The little eggs remind me of some other little stones I picked up in Ocean Shores - little Moon Stones - like little egg-shaped pearls. They will be one of my reminders of my "hummer year". I do like being able to watch her later into the night. It does seem like she can stay out of the nest a bit longer since it's warmer. She sure has the nest all spruced up and "re-fluffed" and lichened. A "green" Anna's - reduce, reuse, recycle!!

Also...

When out watering this afternoon (prior to the heavy rain that is coming...???) a Rufous hummer came around and enjoyed a fly by dip in the spray.

Guess I can say, the kids are back! No longer an empty-nester - for a while anyway.

Caryn / Wedgwood

PS - The Bushtit nest seemed to have failed (as did the Robin's), but my husband retwined it to the same branch w/ fishing line (did it successfully once before when one fell with babies inside - and the mother went right back in!). I did see the bushtits on the nest again, but not sure if they're going to try to use it or just take the material for another nest.