Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Fri May 16 11:02:38 PDT 2014

Tweets – It was warm and hazy yesterday. The full moon was setting just as the sun was rising, both just at 5:30 a.m. when we were starting, though both were a bit obscured by haze. Things get awfully early from now on until July (especially for those of us, like me, who were at the opera the night before). The haze kept the full sun away for the morning, so it didn’t get too hot too fast. The mosquitoes were thick. The trees were noisy with Black-headed Grosbeaks and Wilson’s Warblers (though we didn’t SEE any of the latter). The day was not filled with surprises, but was fairly birdy.

Highlights: (FOY – First of Year)

Common Merganser Appear to be nesting near the park office
Great Blue Heron Large babies in the nests
Spotted Sandpiper Heard and glimpsed at lake platform – FOY
Swainson’s Thrush Heard calls; a few of us saw 1 at Rowing Club – FOY
Cedar Waxwing FOY on 5/13; small flocks seen 5/15
G.-crowned Sparrow Getting late; still one present
Western Tanager Flock of ~20 in Doug Firs near mansion
Yellow-headed Blackbird Female in fields 7-8-9 (had male two weeks ago)
Evening Grosbeak A few flyby birds calling

Though the second sighting of YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD this month, it’s just the 6th YHBL sighting ever for Marymoor.

Misses today included Rock Pigeon, Band-tailed Pigeon, Western Wood-Pewee, and Orange-crowned Warbler. We saw pretty much everything else that was to be expected, though we were hoping for more unusual species than just the YHBL.

For the day, 59 species. For the year, I think we’re at 130 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com