[Tweeters] no luck with Magnuson Chat

Josh Hayes coralliophila at live.com
Wed May 14 20:48:37 PDT 2014

I toddled around in the area of the tennis courts and the scrubby land over toward the wetlands south of the courts (and the wetlands themselves, which are always delightful) this afternoon from about 3:45 to 5 or so with nary a glimpse. Or a tweet. I ran into a couple of other tweeters but failed to get names, alas - I hope they had better luck than I did!

I'm also being driven mad by a yard bird I cannot ID, because I can't SEE it, just hear it. The song is a rising chromatic scale of about four notes followed by a down-sliding buzzy trill, like dee-dee-dee-dee-wheeeeeze. For me it has a very warbler-y gestalt, but I'm darned if I can figure it out. Not OCW, not yellow-rump, not Townsend's, not Yellow, not Wilson's.... and when I step out onto the back deck with binoculars in hand it falls silent and hunkers down somewhere. It's taunting me, I know it is. Does this sound reminiscent of anything to anyone out there?

I've run through all the warblers at the Cornell site, and nixed possible vireos. No way is this song a finchy one, either. FWIW, it seems to like the tops of our large filbert tree and the adjacent about-to-drop-a-ton-of-pollen pine tree.

Grateful for any suggestions: I'll be happy to listen to any audio links anyone can provide.

-Josh Hayes in Licton Springs (North Seattle CC area)