[Tweeters] Seattle Audubon Grays Harbor trip 6 May 2014

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Thu May 8 14:41:26 PDT 2014

Hi Tweets

On Tuesday Seattle Audubon took a trip to the Grays Harbor area. We started
out early and it wasn't until we were down near Tacoma that we could see
birds. Our first was an AMERICAN CROW flying across the freeway, as did a
couple of GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLs and some EUROPEAN STARLINGs. Perhaps the
weather was too good as we didn't have much all the way down thru Aberdeen.

At the Hoquiam Ponds, there was an Osprey on the nest. A SONG SPARROW and
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW were on the fence. At the ponds the nest box was empty
and we looked in vain for owlets in the surrounding trees. The west pond was
filled with GREATER and LESSER SCAUP, lots of NORTHERN SHOVELERs, and some
BUFFLEHEAD and MALLARDs and a GADWALL. On the far shore was a partially
obscured shorebird that took some time to identify as a DUNLIN. Numerous
SAVANNAH SPARROWs would perch on the fence line. BARN and TREE SWALLOWs
cruised by overhead. We drove slowly back to the east and at a mud patch saw
LONG-BILLED (3) and SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERs (2), DUNLIN, and a GREATER
YELLOWLEGS. At an on-shore mud-patch there were CLIFF SWALLOWs gathering
mud. The pipeline structure held GLAUCOUS-WINGED/WESTEN hybrids and a single
THAYER'S GULL. Over near the entrance to Bowerman Basin we saw an adult BALD
EAGLE, CANADA GEESE and some peeps (too distant to i.d.).

On Burrow's Road we saw and heard a WILSON'S WARBLER. Along the road were a
few more GREATER YELLOWLEGs. We went on to Ocean Shores and out to Bill's
Spit - as expected from the tide tables the tide was way out, but we did see
some WESTERN SANDPIPERs, and a group of CASPIAN TERNs. Further out in the
harbor was a large group of lazing Harbor Seals. Down at the entrance to
Damon Point there as we scanned the old rocky pilings we saw a RUDDY
TURNSTONE. A COMMON LOON was out on the water. A the Point Brown North Jetty
we had to scan waaay out on the rocks because of low tide, but were able to
turn up a WANDERING TATTLER, BLACK TURNSTONE and SURF BIRD. On the point of
the jetty were a DOUBLE-CRESTED and PELAGIC CORMORANT, BROWN PELICAN and
assorted hybrid gulls. From the jetty we saw one RHINOCEROS AUKLET, some
flyby SURF SCOTERs, and way out to sea some SOOTY SHEARWATERs.

We made a stop for lunch at the Interpretive Center and saw a SPOTTED
TOWHEE, HOUSE FINCH, BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD. From there we drove back into
Ocean Shores and out on the beach. As far as we could see the edge of the
water zone was covered with DUNLIN, WESTERN SANDPIPERS, a few LEAST
SANDPIPERS and SANDERLINGs. Further up the beach we had MARBLED GODWITs,
SEMI-PALMATED PLOVERs and one WHIMBREL. We drove up to Copalis Beach and saw
huge numbers of the same shorebirds - at this point for the day we had
probably seen 3-400 Godwits, a couple of thousand Dunlin, 160 Semi-Palmated
Plovers and lots of Western Sandpipers.

In spite of the low tides we drove around to Bottle Beach (some of the
participants had never been there). The mud was exposed waaaaay out, but in
the distance we could make out what were likely more MARBLED GODWITs. As we
turned to leave we heard and saw an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER and a BEWICK'S
WREN.

Brady Loop was relatively birdless with the exception of 12 BLACK-BELLIED
PLOVERs, a distant RED-TAILED HAWK and lots of SAVANNAH SPARROWs.

At various spots during the day we saw: GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE, COMMON
MERGANSER, BRANDT'S CORMORANT, GREAT BLUE HERON, accipiter species,
KILLDEER, WESTERN GULL, ROCK PIGEON, EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE, STELLER'S JAY,
COMMON RAVEN, MARSH WREN, AMERICAN ROBIN, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, SONG SPARROW,
DARK-EYED JUNCO, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, BREWER'S BLACKBIRD, HOUSE FINCH and
AMERICAN GOLDFINCH.

It was a nice day with sun, pleasant temperatures, good friends and good
birds. We saw 68 species for the day, in spite of concentrating on
shorebirds. A good day!

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville Wa

Mail to bell asoc at iso me dia dot com