[Tweeters] Long-billed Curlew at Fill

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Tue May 6 12:47:13 PDT 2014

Hey tweets, A LONG-BILLED CURLEW flew over the Fill today at 8:15 a.m., passing directly in front of me and traveling eastward along the shoreline of the Fill a short distance out over Union Bay. Alex MacKenzie saw it also. It came from a westerly direction, passed the Fill, then turned southeast over Lake Washington and disappeared, leaving me with my mouth open for any fly to enter at will. I watched its slender, decurved bill one last time as it turned its head before I lost sight of it. What a preposterous proboscis. This is a first sighting for the Fill, and (according to Gene Hunn’s book) only the fourth county sighting. Wowza.

Also on view today: A Greater Yellowlegs on Main Pond; Western Tanager in the alder grove kittycorner from the kiosk (and another at the corner of Douglas and Clark Roads); 3 Greater Scaup on Main Pond; more than 30 Cliff Swallows picking up mud from a mud puddle smaller than my fish platter; a singing Golden-crowned Sparrow near Main Pond; a Lincoln’s sparrow in the alder grove; and large numbers of Vaux’s Swifts everywhere. A great day.

Here is a poem for you today:

Vaux's Swift of the south,
it took a million flaps of your tiny wings to come here.
Such great desire.
I wonder if I want anything as much?

- Connie, Seattle
constancesidles at gmail.com