[Tweeters] Peregrine Falcon Encounters Last Week

John Gatchet jfgatchet at gmail.com
Sun May 4 23:38:50 PDT 2014

On Thursday I was standing inches from the edge of the bluff from our yard
overlooking Discovery Bay when I heard the sound of wings cutting through
the air. It was a Peregrine Falcon not more than 20 feet from me as it was
in a dive along the edge of the bluff. It all happened so quickly it was
hard to see if it hit anything.

Last Tuesday at Fort Flagler State Park a group of sandpipers landed in the
rocks on the beach 25 feet from me and immediately flattened so low I could
not see them. I was frustrated at this action, but it came into focus when
they took flight and a Peregrine Falcon was on them immediately. As the
chase was on a bird was hit and fell into the water looking lifeless. The
Peregrine circled and picked it off the water and flew away with it.

John F. Gatchet
Gardiner, WA