[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 5/3/14

scrubjay323 at aol.com scrubjay323 at aol.com
Sat May 3 19:47:19 PDT 2014

Tweets,

Today 35 folks showed up for a Saturday morning nature walk at Nisqually. We had intermittent rain showers and a falling tide but had a pretty good day.

Highlights included first of the year WESTERN TANAGER, BLUE-WINGED TEAL, and AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN. Spring has sprung and migrants were everywhere, as were shorebirds.

We had lots of COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, YELLOW WARBLERS, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, and a few WILSON'S WARBLERS. Most of these were heard and a few of each species was seen.

In the slough at the entrance road was a small flock of WESTERN SANDPIPERS. Another small flock was in the reclamation area with a lone DUNLIN. We also saw LEAST SANDPIPERS, GREATER YELLOWLEGS, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, and KILLDEER.

The WHITE PELICAN was flying up and down McAllister Creek and the BLUE-WINGED TEAL was on the pond inside the new dike. The WESTERN TANAGERS were in the alders and maples next tot he twin barns. We got nice views of each species.

There were swallows everywhere, mostly CLIFF and TREE SWALLOWS, but with BARN, VIOLET-GREEN and NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED mixed in.

With the BLUE-WINGED TEAL, we had a three teal day with CINNAMON and GREEN-WINGED TEAL also present.

For the day we had 45 species and I now have 103 for the year.

Mammals seen were GRAY SQUIRREL and COTTON TAILED RABBIT.

Until Wednesday when I walk with the usual group.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
Lacey, WA