[Tweeters] WOS trip to Grays Harbor 29 April 2014

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Thu May 1 15:24:11 PDT 2014

Hi Tweets

A belated report of the Washington Ornithological Society trip to the Grays
Harbor area on 29 April 2014. We started out at 0-dark thirty (well, 0530)
to get to the coast reasonably early. Once it started getting light we
picked up a few AMERICAN CROWs south of Tacoma. The day was clear with sun
and warm.

Because of a report of an American Golden-Plover in the Brady-Loop area we
made our first stop along the eastern side of the loop. At the "ponds" we
saw BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, and DUNLIN. There was a EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE
along the road. We made our next stop at the Hoquiam Ponds - the GREAT
HORNED OWL young were hunkered down in the nesting box and the ponds had
GREATER and LESSER SCAUP, BUFFLEHEAD. One OSPREY was on the nest and a
second was eating a fish below it on the light tower. ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER
and SONG SPARROW along the road, and CLIFF SPARROWs were at the mud at the
eastern end of the ponds. We drove Burrow's Road and picked up PACIFIC WREN.

We drove the beach in Ocean Shores west of town and saw hundreds of MARBLED
GODWITs, DUNLIN, lots of BLACK-BELLIED and SEMI-PALMATED PLOVERs, many, many
WESTERN SANDPIPERs and SANDERLINGs. GLAUCOUS-WINGED, WESTERN, and
RING-BILLED GULLs were on the beach and some CASPIAN TERNS. Offshore were
BROWN PELICANs. Out at the jetty we saw a good number of SURFBIRDs and one
WANDERING TATTLER. At least 40 PACIFIC LOONs were off the point of the
jetty, and PELAGIC CORMORANT and a flyby of WHITE-WINGED SCOTERs, with a
single SURF SCOTER later. We also saw RED-THROATED and COMMON LOONS and
HORNED and RED-NECKED GREBES.

Because of the tides, we cut Ocean Shores short and drove around the bay to
Bottle Beach arriving just before high tide. There were good numbers of
shorebirds there including lots of MARBLED GODWITS, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS,
SEMI-PALMATED PLOVERS, hundreds of WESTERN SANDPIPERS, DUNLIN, about 12
GREATER YELLOWLEGS, a good size grouping of LONG-BILLED and SHORT-BILLED
DOWITHERS, a flyby group of GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE, some BRANT a ways
out in the harbor, and waaay out on a sandbar were 3 BALD EAGLES. In the
willows behind the beach was a BEWICK'S WREN, and calling COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT. An unidentified Hummingbird zoomed by and disappeared.

At the marina in Westport, from the observing platform we saw BRANDT'S
CORMORANT, DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT and PELAGIC CORMORANT (including nesting
inside the Channel Marker). Along the seawall by the Coast Guard station
there must have been 300 BROWN PELICANS. A couple of COMMON LOONS were in
the marina.

A second loop around Brady Loop on the way home yielded lots of SAVANNAH
SPARROWS, VIOLET-GREEN, TREE SWALLOWS, an AMERICAN KESTREL, and two WESTERN
SCRUB-JAYS near the northern end of the eastern branch of Brady Loop.

At various spots during the day we saw MALLARD, NORTHERN PINTAIL, GREAT BLUE
HERON, RED-TAILED HAWK, KILLDEER, ROCK PIGEON, BAND-TAILED PIGEON, NORTHERN
FLICKER, COMMON RAVEN, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE, BEWICK'S WREN, VARIED THRUSH,
EUROPEAN STARLING, SPOTTED TOWHEE, WHITE-CROWNED and GOLDEN-CROWNED
SPARROWS, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, BREWER'S BLACKBIRD, HOUSE FINCH, PURPLE
FINCH and HOUSE SPARROW.

All in all it was a great day with good weather and good companions. We
wound up with 75 species.

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville WA

Mail to bell asoc at iso me dia dot com