[Tweeters] Help please with Canada vs Cackling Goose ID

Chazz Hesselein chazz at hesselein.com
Sun Mar 30 13:48:01 PDT 2014

Yesterday afternoon I visited Ridgefield NWR where I was excited to see
a WA first, over forty bugling Sandhill Cranes. As usual, there were
many Canada/Cackling geese so I was surprised when I Birdlog required a
confirmation when I reported an estimated 1000 Canada Geese. These
geese were small with short necks but had elongated bills, I only saw
one small goose that had a shortened, "triangular," bill that I
identified as a Cackler. Now I see that there are some populations of
Cacklers whose bills are elongated. Is it likely that I misidentified
the 1000 geese as Canadas when they were really Cacklers?

Thanks,

Chazz Hesselein
Port Orchard, WA