[Tweeters] SE WA Lesser Goldfinch irruption? (Columbia & Franklin Co)

Stefan Schlick greenfant at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 29 21:05:50 PDT 2014

2 separate groups of Lesser Goldfinches were at Lyons Ferry Park and Lyons Ferry Fish Hatchery today (Franklin Co). The birds were singing. Back in Columbia, there were 2 additional sightings of Lesser Goldfinch in Columbia (1 at Tucannon HMU; 1 off 261 just uphill from Riveria Rd). It does look like there have been more sightings than usual around SE Washington state (also see Andy's earlier Asotin Co report). The birds might be expanding their range, but then, they haven't bred yet ...
A pair of Peregrine Falcons was easy to see at Palouse Falls SP in Franklin Co. The birds were were active. As was a Yellow-bellied Marmot scuttling by me on the other side of the fence at the overlook.
A Lincoln's Sparrow was at the Tucannon HMU. Guy's Bald Eagle nest yielded a single bird (on the nest).
Also in Columbia, I was surprised to see good numbers of Chestnut-backed Chickadees uphill from Camp Wooten along FR47 (Tucannon Rd) at several stops. A singing Pacific Wren was nice too. There was NO SNOW all the way up to the Panjab overflow site which is where I turned around.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR