[Tweeters] What made this mud construction in a nest box?

Rachel Lawson rwlawson at q.com
Wed Mar 26 09:44:54 PDT 2014

I answer the email at Seattle Audubon, and last week we received a message
asking us to identify an odd construction in a nest box. My colleague at
the office and I have never heard of anything quite like this. If anyone
would like to make a guess about what combination of birds, mammals, and/or
environmental effects produced this thing, the description is below. There
also are some photos, which I will forward to anyone who is interested.
Please reply privately, and I will send your responses to the owners of the
nest box.

Rachel Lawson
Seattle