[Tweeters] Finch return, crane blasts, bluebirds and mystery hummer solved

Rob Conway robin_birder at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 25 23:39:28 PDT 2014

Today for the first time since October I had numerous finches in my yard including House (with a yellow and an orange variant), Purple, Cassin's, Am. Goldfinch, Lesser Goldfinch, FOY Black Headed Grosbeak, Red Crossbills (100 or so) up in a fir tree, and without a single one over the winter about 10 Pine Siskins. I heard them before I saw them but they just kept coming and coming.

After yesterdays Sandhill Crane sighting I had another group TRY to fly over today. The wind was blowing at 50+ steady with a gust to 81 from the west at about 11:00 AM and a group of about 20 cranes was trying to go west right along Hwy 14. Right at the Camas split (just west of the paper mill) the cranes had to quit and set in to the fields just to the south side of the highway - they were still there at 4:00PM.

I got my mystery hummer back today for 1 minute and now have 80+ % confidence that it is a Calliope. Chin strap, Purple throat with appropriate patterning, and very small.

Also today on the hill just above me I had 3 Western Bluebirds and a single BRILLIANT BLUE male Mountain Bluebird. Is this an invasion or weather related invasion of Mountain Bluebirds? I see reports all over the west of many many being spotted including places like the East Bay Hills in Oakland, Red Bluff, CA, Ashland, and many in Oregon / Washington. My dad has 6 picking off caterpillars and flying insects at his home near Yosemite and 2 pairs of Westerns nest building in boxes I put up 35 years ago.

Camas, WA
45.58°N 122.44°W - elevation 310 ft.
robin_birder at hotmail.com