[Tweeters] OT: Bristle-thighed Curlew & other bird images from Oahu

Hank Heiberg hank.heiberg at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 11:51:12 PDT 2014

Oahu is not the Hawaiian island to go to for the best birding experience, but Karen and I chose it for the combination of what it had to offer in the areas of birding, music, scenery and art.  We were more than pleased with the birding  Here are some images from our recent visit:

Photo of Bristle-thighed Curlew:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/13257396253/

Video of Bristle-thighed Curlew:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/13257393955/

The Bristle-thighed Curlew nests in remote NW Alaska and winters throughout the South Pacific including a spot on NE Oahu.

Photo of White Tern chick:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/13182060705/

Video of White Tern chick working its wings:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/13233536845/

The White Tern is a beautiful bird that can be seen throughout Honolulu.  A single White Tern egg is laid on a tree limb without a nest.  The tern chick remains on the limb until it is able to fly.  There were wind gusts of 65 mph while we were in Honolulu.  The tern chicks hunkered down and faced into the wind.  Two of the places where we found tern chicks were in downtown Honolulu at the state capitol and at 'Iolani Palace.

Set of all bird photos and videos from Oahu:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/sets/72157633293021652/

We would be happy to share more information about birding on Oahu including the name of an excellent guide that we used.  We didn't rent a car so we birded by walking or bus except when the guide took us in his car.

Hank Heiberg
Lake Joy
Carnation, WA
hankdotheibergatyahoodotcom