[Tweeters] Columbia County Bald Eagle

Guy McWethy lguy_mcw at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 09:05:51 PDT 2014

Greetings Tweets,
I did a quick 1/2 day trip to Columbia county, hoping to see some specific target birds.
Success!
While scanning the mouth of the Tucannan river, an Adult BALD EAGLE flew over !
Of course, once I left and continued up the Tucannon, about 1/2 mile above the boat launch, I found a nesting Pair of BALD EAGLES.  Pretty Cool!  Probably only about 150 feet off the road and very visible.
Looks like now is a good time to tick these off your county list  ;)

These birds have a specific significance for me.
It was the 150th bird species I have seen in Columbia County.
It was also the 39th WA county I have seen Bald Eagle in.
Also, It was the final bird I needed to pass 150 species seen in all 39 counties of Washington.

I Almost started doing Cart-wheels down the road, until I realized that
1) I never learned how to do Cart-wheels, and
2) I would probably break several bones if I tried it now.
3) Having several broken bones in the middle of Columbia county was probably NOT a good thing .

There was also a small flock of LESSER SCAUP at the mouth of the Tucannon.  And I picked up a GADWALL (county code 4) in the small pond just above Little Goose Dam.

It was a gorgeous day out there in the sun!

PS   I would like to Thank everyone who helped me see all these birds over the last 10 years.  I've chased a lot of reports posted here on Tweeters.  The journey has been a lot of fun !!

Guy McWethy
Renton, WA
mailto: lguy_mcw at yahoo.com