[Tweeters] Mountain Bluebirds, Northern Shrike at Mima Mounds

Gary Wiles wilesharkey at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 21:01:13 PDT 2014

Tweeters,

Following up on Chris Warlow's posting yesterday, I visited Mima Mounds Natural Area Preserve in southern Thurston County this morning to search for the Mountain Bluebirds.  I found 4 of the bluebirds at the south end of the southernmost trail loop at about 0830.  The birds were active and stayed in sight for only a couple of minutes as they foraged from tree stumps, small trees, and the ground.  A Northern Shrike was at the same location, which was a nice surprise, and there were also 3-4 singing meadowlarks and an American Kestrel in the general area.  Combined with the sunny conditions, it was a great trip to this site.

Gary Wiles
Olympia, WA
wilesharkey at yahoo.com